We cannot control the path of a natural disaster; however, we can prepare for one.
With the recent devastation of Hurricane Harvey, our prayers and support are with those affected. It now seems that Florida will face Hurricane Irma. Bottled water and canned foods are flying off the shelves, it’s apparent we need to get to the stores and stock up.
As an advocate of healthy eating, here are some tips to keep your shelves full of healthier hurricane friendly foods.
1. Bottled water
3. Fresh fruit.
4. Peanut Butter and/or Almond Butter.
5. Nuts and seeds. Pistachios, Cashews, Almonds, Peanuts, Walnuts, Pecans and sunflower seeds are some examples.
6. Canned beans. They can be eaten cold, right out of the can. Black beans, chick peas, etc.
7. Canned vegetables and fruits. Fresh fruits and veggies are always better, however, canned will lasts a lot longer for instances like a hurricane.
8. Dried fruits are also a great option.
It is recommended that we prepare to have a minimum of 3 days’ worth of food and water. Nuts, fruits, beans and water are great healthy items that also have a great shelf life and will sustain you through the hurricane.
Hopefully, these are only precautions. So many people stock up on chips, cookies, sugar-filled and nutrition-less snacks, sodas and Gatorades. My goal is to arm you with the tools you need to have a healthy hurricane.
So stay safe and Eat Better and Live Better!