Last week I went to my daughter’s school to bring her lunch because I did not have a chance to pack it. She is in 3rd grade and the parents can join their child for lunch. As I sat and ate with her, I observed the kids go through the cafeteria line and was appalled at what their food options were.
The children had fried mozzarella sticks with marinara sauce. The schools are required to provide a balanced diet and could not fathom how the mozzarella sticks were classified as a well-balanced meal. The logic behind this does not make sense to anyone who understands nutrition.
Below is a sample lunch menu in an Elementary Palm Beach County School. This will also display how the school categorizes each menu option.
August 18, 2017
- Mozzarella Cheese Sticks (grain and protein) with Marinara Sauce (Vegetable)
- The funny part about this is, tomato is a fruit!
- Hot Dog (grain and protein)
- Chocolate chip muffin platter (grain and protein) – This was really a lunch option!
- Turkey and Cheese Sandwich (grain and protein)
- Fresh green beans and sweet peppers
- Honey Dew Melon
Parents beware! Please investigate what is being served in your child’s school for lunch. Packing a well-balanced meal is necessary for your children to develop, learn and stay healthy.
Let’s eat better to live better!